the story of one girl living with four boys.

welcome and enjoy.

“Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men.”
― Joseph Conrad

“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”
Brigham Young

“Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.”
― George Carlin

“Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.”
Friedrich Nietzche



Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Black Velvet

Saturday was our team's "Black Velvet." For rowing teams, black velvet signifies the beginning of the season. For East coast teams it represents the time where the ice breaks and melts, and the team can finally go on the water - not a problem for us. Regardless, it is a special event for rowing teams across the nation.

The day was filled with activities - from practice in the wee hours of the morning, to the open boathouse and alumni row in the afternoon, to the banquet in the evening. I'd say the entire day was a success, and although this post isn't exactly about what happened at my house, it is about something important that happened out all of our lives. Here are a few of my favorite parts!

The open boathouse is always something memorable. For the past three years the President of our school, Father Engh, has come out to where we row on Black Velvet to bless our boats. Because his brother rowed, he understands things about the sport that many cannot. He makes it a point to try and get to know the athletes and to make it to regattas throughout the year.

Our team with Father Engh
The dinner is my favorite part of the day however, and this is where my girly side comes out. I never have an excuse to dress up. You can pretty much always find me in sweatpants or athletic gear. Just this morning I had time to shower after practice before class. I had time to put on a cute sweater with cute boots. When I walked into the kitchen Tobe asked me why I was getting so dressed up. Like wearing leggings and a sweater is fancy? Anyway, you've all seen the dress I was going to wear featured in the Shopping post! My friend Karla (also a coxswain) told me a couple days before Saturday that she had made makeup appointments for us, which was really nice considering I had no idea what to do in that area! Everything came together quite nicely. I loved seeing some of my housemates parents - especially Tobe's. And because of them, I was able to finally get the picture I've been trying to get since moving in.

Spencer, Tobe, Me, Dan, Howie

No comments:

Post a Comment